Traditional dessert in Tenerife cuisine that is enjoy in all Canary Islands.
- 650 g of Bramley apples.
- 100 g brown sugar.
- 1 orange grated rind and juice.
- 1 teaspoon of mixed spice.
- 1 tablespoon of white flour.
- 25 g butter.
- 175 g prepared short crust pastry.
- 2 teaspoon caster sugar.
1. Preheat the oven 15 minutes before baking the pie at 200º C.
2. Peel and core the apples then cut in thick slices and put aside.
3. Mix the sugar, mixed spice flour and orange grated rind and juice.
4. Add 1/3 of the apples to a base (pie dish) of 1.2 liter deep then sprinkle to the top the sugar mix. Once again add apples (1/2 of the remaining) then add sugar. Finally add the rest of the apples and poor the orange juice.
5. Add the butter cut in cubes on the apples.
6. Roll out the pastry and on a surface lightly floured, the pastry must be 4 cm larger than the pie dish. Cut a strip of 1.5 cm and before to place it on the edge of the pie dish, moisten the edge of the pie dish and place the rest of the pastry as a lid. Press the edges with a knife and be sure that there is no open part.
7. Brush the pastry with water and sprinkle with caster sugar. Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake for about 15 min after that change the temperature to 180º c and cook for other 30 min or until the pastry looks honey brown.
Serve hot and if you like you can add cream custard or ice cream.